1. Change your address at least two weeks prior to moving.
This might seem like a no-brainer for important things like utilities and cable but don’t forget the less important stuff as well. You might have Amazon, PayPal, Credit Cards, Your Bank, Magazine Subscriptions, and other mail to update as well.
2. Arrange for a charity organization to come pick up the items you don’t want.
It’ll save you the trouble of having to take it there yourself, and saves you from packing any things you don’t need at your new place.
3. Pack an overnight bag containing all the essentials.
You may not be able to unpack all your things on your first day, so it’s nice to have your essentials within easy access. This could include a change of clothes if you’re going back to work the next day as well as all your toiletries.
4. Label what’s in your boxes, as well as what room they’ll be going into.
Organization is the key to a successful move. By clearly labelling your boxes, it makes it easy for us to place stuff in the correct room. This will make the unpacking process will feel more manageable. Also, remember to label the sides of the boxes instead of the tope, so their easily identifiable even if they’re stacked.
5. Make sure everything is completely packed before the movers show up.
This helps save a lot of time and hassle on the day of the move. We recommend starting the packing process as early as possible to avoid any unnecessary delays.
6. Show up to your new home before the move to clean the bathroom and kitchen.
Put up a new shower curtain liner and stock some new bath towels and toilet paper, as well. You’ll want to take a hot shower after a day of moving.